Alfajores, did I say sweet heavenly Alfajores? A snack with luscious sweetness and potentially a meal (yes you can eat an entire batch and nothing more!)
The cuteness can come in several forms, tastes and colors…alfajores of (de) maicena / maizena a popular brand for corn starch, dipped in semi-sweet-chocolate, dipped in white chocolate, with grated coconut on the side and…many more.

Alfajores de Maicena with Dulce de Leche

Lets see the “Five Ws” for the Alfajores

What are Alfajores?

It’s principally a sweet sandwich of 2 round cookies with dulce de leche (manjar blanco or arequipe) in the middle and sprinkled with powdered sugar or they’re rolled in coconut as well. The cookies can be hard or soft-type depending of the recipe.
Lately there’re sweet-monster-towers with 3 or more cookies/layers that melt in your mouth immediately obtaining your sweet tooth satisfaction :)

Where Alfajores came from and can be found commonly?

The culinary history of the alfajor can be tracked to the original one from Spain that habitually is done for Christmas and with some variants like honey and almonds.
If we go further back in history, you’ll find that they came to Spain when the Moors conquered the Iberian Peninsula (A similar alfajor version of the actual one and the word is from the Arabic word for great filled sweets)

Recently the actual alfajores arrived to South America with the Spanish immigrants. In my country Uruguay are immensely popular.
They’re found also in other Latin American countries like Argentina, Chile, Peru, Colombia and Mexico.

Chocolate Coated Alfajores with Dulce de Leche

Who eat Alfajores?

Kids go crazy with them but adults are not far to the alfajor because are splendid-one bite. The big guys of the alfajores-team can be marvelous in kcals, so this is a point to have in mind if you are doing some type of healthy diet and you can eat them, but sporadically.
If someone in the world bites an alfajor, I bet that this person becomes an “addict” to the same.

When people eat Alfajores?

Well anytime! At breakfast, as a quick yummy dessert at lunch/dinner, at tea coffee-time, with mate, while driving (it’s “perfect” don’t disturb too much). In general, always, there isn’t an excuse to end eating one :D
In Uruguay there’re alfajores everywhere, even, somebody has said that they grow from the ground and finalize completely delicious with a dulce de leche layer inside when are mature….just warm from bakeries/ovens…

Alfajores de Maizena with Dulce de Leche

Why you’d eat Alfajores

Do you need any good reason?? Do it only one time and tell me later!!
Need more reasons to be excited about the alfajores?
Check out these wonderful recipes and articles with the alfajor as the centre of them.

Alfajor Recipes Center

Which are your preferred alfajor? With dulce de leche, peanut butter, jams or only your own-homemade-type? My answer to these questions is obvious.. every one of them! And you?

If you enjoyed your read, Subscribe to my RSS feed or get updates by Email!

46 Responses to Alfajores with Dulce de Leche, Maicena and Alfajor Coated of Chocolate – a Luscious Sweetness
  1. Soma
    August 15, 2009 | 20:25

I have never heard of them! they look DIVINE.. all the version. What i would love is a soft one with jam;-D & others too (except peanut butter) depending on my mood. Who eats them? LOL who would not?

2. elra
    August 15, 2009 | 20:27

Will definitely make this. Sounds delicious and tempting.

3. Rebecca
    August 16, 2009 | 14:58

These are wonderful, and love all the background inforamtion! Nice to add your info to my library of dulce de leche recipes.(I have a number of them on my site, which is all about Argentina)Great links, too!

4. La Mexican Food Diva
    August 17, 2009 | 01:48

As much as i love them, my heart belongs to classic Mexican flan made WITHOUT canned milk, just the goodness of organic whole milk.

5. Shelby
    August 17, 2009 | 08:43

Oh Gera….yummy! :-)
    P.S. I'm back!!!

6. Judy
    August 17, 2009 | 09:56

I have never eaten alfajores. They look very interesting and I would love to try them. Thanks for all the links to recipes.

7. The Duo Dishes
    August 17, 2009 | 16:48

Ahhhhhhhh! NO matter who makes these, they always look delicious. We have to try it.

8. Reeni
    August 17, 2009 | 21:22

You know how much I love dulce de leche! Such heavenly treats these are!! I wish I had one or two for dessert.

9. averagebetty
    August 19, 2009 | 17:25

Dulce de Leche is the nectar of the Gods. Or at least the life blood of this SoCal gal! Love it, Gera!!

10. conveyancing
    August 21, 2009 | 06:14

I had never eat such sweet in my life. Now i feel that i have no made any mistake to visit this site.

11. The Texas Treats Team
    August 21, 2009 | 15:11

Oh wow! Those look so tasty. I would love to eat mine with some hot tea or coffee!

12. Residential Investment
    August 22, 2009 | 07:15

I have very fond memories of them. My favourite is with dulce de leche! :)

13. Tony
    August 22, 2009 | 08:58

Oh yumm yumm yumm, these do look so very good. I think I will have one of each for starters…

14. ice london gifts
    August 27, 2009 | 06:50

It such a nice dish ans watering in my mouth.

15. domain hosting
    September 11, 2009 | 01:34

Mine is Milk Chocolate Bars. I make all kind of things with it. Like smores, chocolate coated strawberries, Extra Chocolate Brownies, hot chocolate….. and that is about it unless i have a very great day.

16. domain hosting
    September 11, 2009 | 01:36

In a small saucepan (or in medium bowl in microwave) melt butter and chocolate over low heat. Remove from heat and stir in sugar; beat in eggs and vanilla, then stir in flour, nuts, chocolate chips and coconut.

17. Bumpr Sticker Lover
    May 6, 2010 | 21:22

darn, those alfajores do look mighty yummy. I'll have to get cracking in the kitchen tonight.

18. stretch mark removal
    November 19, 2010 | 13:48

This is so tasty. I think am starving just by watching these great food. Do want to know more food stuffs, you haven't got them posted all here.

19. wart removal
    March 11, 2011 | 05:34

Yum Yum! THis is good for our tummy! Indeed a delectable one for snack time. Would love to order these on my office hours.

20. Like Snacks? Check out what was in my
    June 13, 2011 | 13:01

[…] Traditional Alfajores from Dulce Caramel Co (Read about alfajores at sweetsfoods.com) […]

21. Edith
    March 15, 2012 | 09:25

I like the other one that comes right next from the first photo which has been filled with chocolates. I just can’t explain like any other why I can’t help myself crave from chocolates though they can strongly destroy my diet plan but still I would have choose it. Delicious!:)

Crash Diets and Yo-Yo Dieting are Not a Good Idea for Weight Loss Diet Plans

Healthy weight loss often concerns: Tired of doing infinite diets to lose weight without any type of results in the...