Mobile Apps are Delicious for Your Diet

The advancement in mobile solutions in recent years has been a stunning mark of achievement. Now we can use that technology as a weapon in an age-old fight: the battle of the bulge.

Introducing mobile apps that help us eat right and exercise. Wherever you go, you have the power in your hands to make healthier choices. These mobile apps are simple to use and offer guidance and motivation for you to reach your goals.

There are basically two platforms for these apps: Apple’s iPhone and Google’s Android.

Mobile Apps Diet - Image - Lose It

Apple iPhone

Who needs a personal trainer when you have an iPhone? Sure your iPhone doesn’t look as good in a muscle shirt as Mark at 24-Hour Fitness, but then again Mark doesn’t come with over 500,000 apps that are instantly downloadable.

Let’s take a look at some of the apps iPhone offers to help you lose weight and feel great.

Lose It! – This is a free workout journal and food diary in one. It tracks how many calories you eat, how many you burn and how many more (if any) you may consume that day. To motivate you, a graph illustrates how much weight you’ve lost so far.

Good Food Near You – Another free mobile app that, in my opinion, is brilliant. How many times have you started a diet (and you’re doing really great) and then three weeks into it you have to take a business trip and are stuck eating whatever food you can find in the vending machine or at a nearby diner? This app uses GPS to locate healthier eating choices near you. It takes the guesswork and added calories out of your traveling meals.

Nutrition Tips – If Trivial Pursuit and Richard Simmons had a baby app, it would be Nutrition Tips. Not only does this app help you make healthy eating choices, it also gives you fun food facts. Did you know oysters contain protein, calcium, phosphorus and iron? Well, you would have known if you had this application. Oh, and it’s free as well.

iFitness – At only $1.99, this app is loaded with amazing features, including 200 sample exercises and 100 instructional videos. It also has 12 routines created by fitness experts, plus weight logs and graphing technology. About the only thing this app doesn’t come with is the willpower to drive past Krispy Kreme.

Google’s Android

There was a time when I heard the term android that I immediately thought of that weird cop in “Terminator 2” with the big ears and angular face. Now when I hear Android I think, “I can get into the greatest shape of my life with all these cool droid apps!”

CardioTrainer – This all-in-one free app lets you track your cardio routines and motivates you to move with its music integration feature. For those with a competitive streak, CardioTrainer has a feature called World High Scores that lets you compare your stats to other people around the world. I know I feel better at the end of the day when I can safely proclaim that I burned 38 more calories than some guy named Olaf in Norway.

Calorie Counter by FatSecret – Part of this app is what you might expect, a food and exercise journal that tracks calories in and calories out. One really cool feature is the barcode scanner and Calorie Counter also comes with recipes and meal ideas.

Endomondo Sports Tracker – Fitness goes social with this app, which not only tracks your fitness but also lets you challenge your friends and send them pep talks in real time. Clean user interface and mapping capabilities make this app highly functional as well as fun. At just 49 cents, it’s a runaway bargain.

AllSport GPS – This app lets a user analyze workout data by using GPS to get a precise way of measuring pace, speed, time and distance. It also allows users to see the workout they just did on an overlaid map, and can track any sport, be it running, mountain biking or walking. The only thing missing is an ice-cold Gatorade.

With so many mobile solutions available, achieving a healthy lifestyle has never been easier. Just download your mobile app of choice and you have a best friend, coach and nutritionist right at your fingertips.

By-line:
Guest post by Dean Vella. This guest post was provided by University Alliance and submitted on behalf of University of San Francisco.  USF offers online marketing courses including SEO training, search engine marketing, social media training, mobile marketing and more.  To learn more about University of San Francisco’s certificate programs visit www.usanfranonline.com.

—————

=> If you are interested in writing for this social food blog, check out the guest post guidelines.

Technorati Tags: guest post, guest posting

54 Responses to Mobile Apps are Delicious for Your Diet
  1. Jim Antoine
    May 9, 2012 | 06:07

Hello!
    I read your article and I actually bought iFitness for my iPhone. I hope that it will help me.. It must work!
    Thank you!

2. Dean
    May 9, 2012 | 15:27

I believe mobile apps have surpassed browser use now, pretty amazing!

3. Bery C.P.
    May 11, 2012 | 04:26

I believe mobile apps. But it will take your efforts to be successful.

4. Felicia
    May 13, 2012 | 10:42

Mobile apps sure have come a long way, and not only do they help in many ways, they also make things a lot more fun and interactive. Losing weight or keeping track with our diet can be a hard thing to do, and it will surely be much easier with the help of apps instead of just keeping a journal and writing on it.
    Felicia would love you to read..Tom Dwan Wins Huge Pot in Macau!My Profile

5. Matt
    May 15, 2012 | 05:12

Without seeing the app logo I can’t be 110% certain but I’m fairly sure that I have used Cardio Trainer before. Any of these types of apps are a really great fitness aid though if you use them honestly. It’s easy to think ‘oh, that was just a tiny piece of cake,’ but when you have to actually take stock of how many calories are inside that ‘tiny’ piece, you’re more likely than not to pass on it. I think, if used correctly, these types of apps are well worth the small fee in terms of the motivation they’re capable of providing someone looking to trim up.

6. Deborah E
    May 16, 2012 | 23:56

Love the title! It is handy to have apps readily available. An app that I like is FitDay. I actually use it more frequently on my iPad, but it is a great tool to record food diary and exercise.

• Dean
      June 11, 2012 | 16:42

Glad you like the title, I thought it was clever as well! :)

7. Justine
    May 25, 2012 | 09:33

Cool application, it’s like a trainer in a box. Will this apps adjust to your health conditions. I mean, before they give you healthy diet tips, will they ask if your allergic to this and that? By the way, this is really helpful. I will definitely try this.

8. Wanda
    June 5, 2012 | 15:19

Smartphones today have the solution to just anything! They can be your personal assistants and now ou gym trainers! Great apps, love it!

9. Ann Chu
    June 9, 2012 | 08:54

Hi Gera,

I would like to give you a bow on the techie things that our generation brought to us now a days. I can just imagine that even mobile apps we can do and monitor our diets in its different ways. Technology real plays the big roll in everyone’s life now whether we admit it or not…. As always there is good and bad effect in everything we cant avoid off. But we must make sure the safety and secure measures to follow. Your article rocks!!! :)

• Dean
      June 11, 2012 | 16:45

Thanks…appreciate it and hope you meet all of your fitness goals!

10. Freddie D.
    June 15, 2012 | 13:49

I personally love the “nutrition tips” app, but I also wanted to mention the many apps available to help you “shop” healthy too.

11. Mia Glover
    June 19, 2012 | 05:43

Iphone apps are really amazing for a diet plan. Indeed, these apps are very useful to achieve my diet. For those who haven’t try these following apps, they must try these apps and these are very effective.

• Dean
      June 20, 2012 | 11:43

It helps to keep you on track and is a matter of follow through.

12. Benjina
    July 2, 2012 | 05:51

Wowwwww! That is my answer app for losing my weight plan.

13. Patrick Hudson
    July 20, 2012 | 09:30

That is really a cool app. Many find it difficult to maintain a good health and eat to maintain correct balance of food intake. With this app one can easily identify foods with vitamins and minerals.

14. Simon
    August 2, 2012 | 11:33

A very cool app indeed, although I think that the biggest challenge to eating well is motivation, rather than tools. Nonetheless, if this helps people eat right, thumbs up from me.

15. Joseph Finkelberg
    August 6, 2012 | 12:55

Technology today become more and more advance. Tools and programs created by this make life easier like this diet iPhone app.

16. Trent
    September 4, 2012 | 19:43

It’s interesting how technology can either destroy your health (television), or greatly improve your health (fitness mobile apps).

My buddy actually uses calorie counter on a daily basis, and watching him transform his physique has been incredible. This guy used to be pudgy, overweight, and extremely insecure.

Now this guy’s literally the life of the party, and losing weight has definitely been instrumental in his personal transformation.

There’s no doubt that technology (mobile apps) can assist you in your fitness goals.

Great article. I recently started my own fitness blog you could check out here.

17. Ryan
    September 20, 2012 | 06:58

Mobile applications can make the world of difference when it comes to losing weight! Keeping track of your goals is super easy with a tracker-like app and motivates you beyond belief to keep on shedding those unwanted pounds!

Feeling Sick? Berries
Feeling Sick? 8 Foods to Eat when You’re Sick

As most of us know, being sick is absolutely no fun, and if you're like anyone, you'll want to...