Feeling Sick? 8 Foods to Eat when You’re Sick

As most of us know, being sick is absolutely no fun, and if you’re like anyone, you’ll want to get over it as soon as possible. The only way to recuperate from common sicknesses like the cold, the flu, or some other virus, is to get plenty of rest, to drink lots of fluids, and to eat the right foods so that your body restores itself naturally.

Here are a few common foods you should eat while you’re sick, and while you’re in the process of getting better.

Feeling Sick? Berries

1. Chicken and other Clear Broth Soups.

This one is probably a no-brainer for many of us, since everyone always associates the cold or flu with chicken soup. The reason that soups are so good for you when you’re sick is that they contain lots of fluid and some sodium that restores much of the fluid you lose after being sick. Chicken serves as a good protein, and noodles are great for giving you energy after you’ve been drained from the cold or flu.

2. Toast or Crackers

Although toast or crackers may seem like fairly boring foods, it’s best to consume foods that are bland when your stomach is relatively weak. Paired with soup, toast and crackers can add that perfect crunchiness to a uniformly liquid diet.

3. Bananas

Bananas are great when you’re sick because, like toast, it’s easy to digest. Bananas are also easy to chew and they’re loaded with vitamins and, more importantly, potassium, that will give your immune system a very much needed boost to aid your body as it recovers.

4. Cottage Cheese

You’ve likely lost quite a bit of weight when you’ve been sick, and your muscles are probably sore and emaciated. This is why consuming protein is especially important. Easy-to-eat proteins like cottage cheese and eggs are probably your best choices, simply because your stomach and digestive system won’t be able to handle steak and other tougher sources of protein as easily.

5. Fruits High in Vitamin C

The stronger your immune system is, the faster you’ll recover from a bout of sickness, whether it’s a cold, the flu, a stomach virus, etc. High vitamin C intake is absolutely instrumental in strengthening your immune system. While taking vitamin C supplements is good, it’s much better to get vitamin C straight from the source since your body will absorb it better this way. Fruits are usually the best choice.

Some examples include oranges, grapefruits, melons, black currants, strawberries, and cherries.

6. Yogurt

Experts suggest that yogurt may be just the thing you need when you are trying to fight off a cold or flu virus. The probiotics that yogurt contains specifically helps to fight disease and create higher white blood cell count. It’s also packed with protein, needs no preparation, and is easily digested by the stomach.

7. Applesauce

Aside from being an absolutely yummy food that reminds you of your childhood and the comforts of home, applesauce is packed with antioxidants and fiber. It also contains many flavonoids, which act as anti-inflammatory agents. This is especially helpful when you are sick, since anti-inflammation can help ease muscle and joint pain from high fevers and lying down all day.

8. Popsicles

Though it may not sound like something particularly healthy, popsicles can serve as the perfect comfort food, which can ease the pain caused by a sore throat. They will also help you get more fluids in your body, since drinking water, Gatorade, or fruit juice all day can become a bit tiring when you’re drinking all day.

Just be sure to read the labels on the popsicles—purchase the kind made from 100% fruit juice, so that you aren’t just eating frozen sugar water.

Of course, none of these foods listed will necessarily cure what ails you. But having each of these in moderation, coupled with lots of sleep, liquids, and a bit of fresh air, will help you get better faster. Having these foods and making it a point to rest will get you back on your feet and back to work or school in no time! Good luck!

By-line:

This guest post is contributed by Lauren Bailey, who regularly writes for accredited online colleges. She welcomes your comments at her email Id: blauren99 (at)  gmail.com

Image: Robert Cochrane / FreeDigitalPhotos.net

102 Responses to Feeling Sick? 8 Foods to Eat when You’re Sick
  1. analy
    July 25, 2012 | 02:17

wow nice tips, this would be good and makes better easily. its very refreshing

2. Paul Phillips
    August 1, 2012 | 13:32

Actually they are all good comfort foods that you have mentioned there. I know everybody dislikes being sick, but there can be some benefit to be had. No need to go to work for a couple of days, sit back and relax watching some TV with some of the comfort snacks above! Sounds good to me, cough….I feel a cold coming

3. melinda
    August 12, 2012 | 18:45

Oh no, yogurt is my favourite one. Why listed?^^
    But, thanks a lot for the information, Gera! I will follow the tips for my health.

4. Julidarma
    August 16, 2012 | 20:14

Fruit with high vitamin C is my first choice when sick. Pineaple is my favorite because the taste is fresh and powerful to improve my stamina.

5. Daniel Anderson
    August 22, 2012 | 23:50

Nice guide. I’ve always wondered what would be regarded as “sick food”. The idea of having a popsicle may not necessarily be the best, for one, it’s loaded with sugar and it also aggravates one’s cough. One thing that I notice helps with sore throats would be honey lemon juice.

6. Gerald
    August 28, 2012 | 05:40

I have been having a cold that affects my throat (clogged) for some days now. Interestingly when i have a cold I like drinking tea..dunno if this would slow down the healing process?

7. Ryan
    October 8, 2012 | 19:54

I knew previously that consuming dry things like crackers and even toast can be good for your stomach when you’re feeling under-the-weather, however, no one ever told me that popsicles were a part of the deal! Next time I get sick, I’m milking that one for all it is worth ;)

8. Felicia
    October 29, 2012 | 03:32

I re-read this post again because some of my nephews and nieces are getting sick lately due to the abnormally cold weather during the upcoming Christmas season. I’ll tell my sisters (their parents) about these foods especially stocking up on crackers, bread, yogurt and fruits as a lot of children really hate drinking medicine because they say it tastes very bad. Chicken soup is a great remedy for sick people, especially children. It also keeps the body hydrated and the tummy warm, which I think helps in keeping someone sick to be comfortable and when comfy, hastens the recovery process.
    Felicia would love you to read..PokerStars All-Star ShowdownMy Profile

9. Johmie Ross
    December 15, 2012 | 01:38

Eureka! These are more better for my daughter. She can take to eat all of that 8 one at a time. Much more easier for me also. Thanks.

10. Julidarma
    December 15, 2012 | 07:32

When sick, people need to improve their endurance. Eat fresh fruit is one of the best choice. The food is rich in vitamin, minerals and anti oxidants. Anti oxidant is very good to fight the free radicals and also improve the endurance.
    Julidarma would love you to read..Benefit Of Water For Kidney StonesMy Profile

11. Sophie
    December 20, 2012 | 10:31

I know it sounds silly but another one that works REALLY WELL is McDonald French fries. Even a small packet will make you feel better instantly.
    MAINLY WORKS FOR STOMACH ACHES!

12. Phil
    January 7, 2013 | 15:59

I am sick now and I have been throwing up almost everything I eat but chicken noodle soup. I have been drinking lots of juice and water, but also have been taking amoxicillin. This is a good list though and I am going to send my girlfriend to go get me some yogurt later cause that sounds yummy :) oh p.s. I am sick with an ear infection and fever so this list would probably be much better for a stomach virus or other illness.

13. jacob woodbury
    March 29, 2013 | 09:47

I don’t know if this will work but I just hope it does as I am as sick as and wonna be sick every second but I can’t although how does cottage cheese help?

14. Filipe
    May 6, 2013 | 08:45

Thanks, this really helps especially because every time I get nauseous I get really hungry because I don’t know what to eat so I don’t eat anything.

15. Sarah
    May 14, 2013 | 23:45

I really believe in the power of healing foods to protect your body from diseases.

16. Julia
    June 11, 2013 | 10:47

i am super sick today, home from school and this list is great! i will have soup and im munching on crackers…. although the toast doesn’t agree with my tummy. it doesn’t always go down.

How to Write Blog Content
How to Write Blog Content: Tips for Consistently Producing Blog Posts

Growing your blog’s readership requires a constant flow of quality content, but even the most prolific of us will hit...