4 Ways to Love the Healthy Foods You Have to Eat

The following guest post was contributed by Melissa Tamura.

Isn’t it just a bummer when you want to stay healthy but also want to eat what tastes good? Sometimes it seems that there are no real compromises for marrying what you love to eat with what you have to eat.

4 Ways to Love the Healthy Foods You Have to Eat – Article for Foodies

Of course, you could buy the low-calorie, low-fat, low-sugar products, but a lot of them offer only slightly lower calories, fats and sugars and add other not-so-healthy products to help preserve them. So how can you successfully love what you have to eat? Here are some ideas:

1. Spice Up Dishes with Foods in the Dietary Guidelines

One great aspect of the well-balanced diet is that meats, fruits, veggies, dairy and bread are all there. So it’s not that you can’t eat what you want, it’s that sometimes we throw the extras on like mayonnaise, fatty dressings, sugars, and the rest, which could throw your balanced diet out of proportion.

This doesn’t mean that you can’t dress up your foods, however. With a little creativity, you could have the extras without stepping far outside your guidelines. For instance, did you know that mixing plain yogurt with pureed cucumber and various seasonings makes a great topping for sandwiches? Also, if you want a glass of lemonade, instead of adding white sugar, you could add pure maple syrup – it tastes amazing!

2. Bake Chicken In Its Own Stock

If you’re on a low-everything diet and want to steer clear of too much of anything that could add on pounds, increase salt intake or raise cholesterol, you could try eating boneless, skinless chicken that has been baked in its own stock.

As you know, chicken stock adds amazing flavor to otherwise bland dishes, so why couldn’t it work for itself? By throwing a chicken breast in the oven at about 400 degrees and letting it bake for about 30 minutes (time could vary depending on the size and thickness), turning it often, you’ll have a tasty chicken breast without having to add a thing for flavor.

3. Break Out the Juicer

The home juicer is an awesome way to get your daily intake of fruits and vegetables in a glass. What’s amazing about these machines is that they allow you to juice just about anything (celery, carrots, cucumbers, etc.). After throwing in an apple, some grapes and maybe even a pineapple, you will have created a drink you’ll love that is incredibly healthy for you.

4. Buy Salt-Free Seasonings

If you feel that you simply cannot live without some type of seasoning on your food, in addition to using healthy foods to spice up dishes, you could buy pre-ground salt-free seasonings. Some stores are dedicated specifically to spices and will create blends like chicken seasoning that have so much flavor that they don’t need salt.

There’s absolutely no need to feel deprived of flavors you love in the name of health. With a little creativity, you could easily have the best of both worlds.

By-line:
This article was written by Melissa Tamura, who writes on the topic of online engineering degrees for the Zen College Life Blog. She would love to hear from you at [email protected]

—————

* If you are interested in writing for Sweets Foods Blog, check out the Guest Post Guidelines here.

If you enjoyed your read:
Subscribe in a RSS reader or get updates by Email!

Photo Credit by Goldemberg Fonseca

23 Responses to 4 Ways to Love the Healthy Foods You Have to Eat
  1. Fresh Local and Best
    February 18, 2010 | 03:46

These are great tips to make healthy foods tasty!
    My recent post L'ISLE SUR LA SORGUE

2. pegasuslegend
    February 18, 2010 | 10:51

Great tips and love the picture yummy!
    My recent post Chicken in White Wine,with Mushrooms over a Bed of Linguine

3. Rosa
    February 18, 2010 | 13:27

Great tips! I always cook with lots of spices…

Cheers,

Rosa
    My recent post FROZEN

4. Tangled Noodle
    February 18, 2010 | 14:43

I definitely rely on my spice rack to add more intensive flavor to my food. As a result, I've actually learned to enjoy my veggies! (This is quite a big deal as I was notorious in my family for absolutely abhorring anything vegetable!)
    My recent post Time for a New Hue

5. 5starfoodie
    February 18, 2010 | 14:56

Excellent healthy cooking tips! Thanks for sharing this!

6. Kristi Rimkus
    February 18, 2010 | 15:08

Nice post. Great ideas. I bought a juicer for Christmas because I'm one of those rare people that prefers vegetables to fruits. I love it! Even my husband is enjoying all my smoothies!

7. Reeni
    February 18, 2010 | 23:38

Thanks for all the excellent tips!

8. Barbara Bakes
    February 19, 2010 | 00:22
  9. Claudia
    February 19, 2010 | 00:49

Grand tips – I love using stock for cooking and also love salt-free seasonings!

10. redkathy
    February 19, 2010 | 02:04

These are some wonderful tips! i always use lots of spices and have cut way back on salts. Chicken is served a three times a week and is never boring!
    My recent post Szechuan Broccoli, Asparagus,and Mushrooms

11. Erica
    February 19, 2010 | 15:06

This is a great post!!! Good tips to make healthy food taste delicios :)

12. averagebetty
    February 19, 2010 | 19:35

Great tips for flavor – not fat!
    My recent post Twitter Grazing!

13. Cookin' Canuck
    February 20, 2010 | 04:42

Great ideas, Melissa! It can seem so challenging to eat well at times, but there really is no reason to sacrifice taste.

My recent post Brown Butter & Chocolate Oatmeal Bar Recipe

14. folisaa
    February 20, 2010 | 08:28

ohhhhhhhhhhhhh

My recent post 4 Ways to Love the Healthy Foods You Have to Eat

15. OysterCulture
    February 22, 2010 | 00:30

Great reminders on how simple it is to add a lot of flavor. Plus I think its a bit self fulling you start eating better you start feeling better you eat better more often. Great post!

16. Soma
    February 22, 2010 | 20:56

Thank you for this post & I hope you are having a great break Gera!

17. Victor
    February 23, 2010 | 03:38

I agree, using chicken stock can definitely make your bird's meat more flavor without the worry of putting additional salt on your diet. Making your own health drink is also a great idea, so getting a juicer for your kitchen is actually not a bad idea.

18. Emily
    February 23, 2010 | 16:47

Hi there, I am new to your blog but I wanted to stop by and say hello. I look forward to reading more of your stuff. I gave up soda for Lent as a means to get back into a healthier mindset… I relied way too much on my daily, afternoon dose of caffeine. These guidelines you've posted definitely help with my current mindset right now!
    My recent post Rich Chocolate Brownies

19. Gourmet Free
    February 24, 2010 | 07:31

I think it's really important that the food you are eating must be healthy and full of vitamins,minerals etc.How you love the healthy food ,you can learn here.These are some wonderful tips!

20. Not Quite Nigella
    February 24, 2010 | 10:41

They're great tips Gera! :D I think loving the food that you eat means that you're more likely to stay on the eating plan so they're really useful :)

21. Carolyn Jung
    February 25, 2010 | 05:11

Great tips, especially about being more adventurous with juices. Why stick to the usual orange and apple, when a whole world of other fruit awaits.
    My recent post Momofuku’s Famous Pork Buns

22. Hélène
    March 5, 2010 | 02:26

So many great tips. Thanks!

23. Julidarma
    December 29, 2012 | 04:42

To get health it should be balance between oxygen, water, and nutrients. Imbalance between water, nutrient and oxygen will cause health problems.
    Julidarma would love you to read..Prostate Problems That You Should KnowMy Profile

Carnival Short Break

I'll be, almost off-line, for a short break during this Carnival week. I'll take advantage of some days of this...