Fruit Smoothie and the Different Between Hypertonic, Hypotonic, Isotonic Drinks

I was craving a healthy fruit smoothie since I’m in winter and summer but all together!!
The last days, the weather has been completely variable and the temperature tripled in few days.
With the short summer you tend to delight with refreshing drinks and this one accomplished with its yummy mission.

Banana, Strawberry and Orange, an Easy Fruit Smoothie full of Vitamins
Banana, strawberry and orange, an easy smoothie full of vitamins with no-recipe to share, because is too simple to make it.
Certainly the alternatives are endless: smoothie with yogurt, chocolate and your imagination can add the rest of the ingredients. At the end of this post I’m putting more smoothie variants to your choice.

With these suffocating days, it came to my mind also what you can desire to drink. A cool beer, cocktail, cola, smoothie or plain water; but do you know what effects produce in your body, the different options? Let’s see them.

Hypotonic, Isotonic, Hypertonic Drinks

Hypotonic drinks are less concentrated than body fluids so are quick to replace fluids lost by principally sweating on hot days or during short exercise trainings. The proportion of carbohydrates (energy) is low around of 2%. Examples are low calorie drinks. As they’ve poor energy you can complement them with food, supplying the necessary calories.

Isotonic drinks can replace lost fluids quickly by sweating as well as glucose and electrolytes in comparable concentrations to the body. They take a little more to be absorbed than plain water and they supply a boost of energy through carbohydrates.
The concentration in glucose is around 6% to 8% and there’re many commercial brands available.
The principal use is as sport drinks for training and lately I’ve seen people drinking them normally in hot days. If you have spent several hours walking is fine but if not, you’re adding unnecessary calories that can rebound in your body weight!

Hypertonic drinks: Hyper means high concentration, more than body fluids. The absorption rate is very slow compared to plain water, then they can reduce the speed of fluid replacements, and potentially can cause dehydration! Usually they’ve large amounts of sugar or glucose, 8% to 10% or more.
They can boost your energy and warning, the daily carbohydrate intake! Examples sodas, alcoholic drinks, colas, fruit juices and …you get the idea. From time to time they’re delicious but not recommended as rehydrating drinks, because the water go out of the cells instead to enter to them.

Healthy Fruit Smoothies Recipes

I’m pretty sure that, every now and then, you enjoy some appetizing smoothie. Which are your preferred ones?
Have you felt the sensation of being thirstier after drunk some hypertonic drinks?

If you enjoyed your read, Subscribe to my RSS feed or get updates by Email!

41 Responses to Fruit Smoothie and the Different Between Hypertonic, Hypotonic, Isotonic Drinks
  1. burpandslurp
    September 8, 2009 | 00:58

You always come up with the most fabulous collections, Gera! It's still pretty hot out here in LA, so I really appreciate it!

2. Sippity Sup
    September 8, 2009 | 21:00

Wow, so much information about a very confusing issue! GREG

3. Olga
    September 8, 2009 | 23:17

try freezing those in an ice tray to make popsicles!

4. Karine
    September 11, 2009 | 08:26

Homemade smoothies are sssooo good!

5. Soma
    September 11, 2009 | 11:43

Learned somethings i did not know:-)

never heard of anyone not liking smoothies. lovely collection.

6. conveyancing
    September 14, 2009 | 02:43

Banana shake one of my favorite health drink.

7. Residential Investment
    September 21, 2009 | 02:24

we have them every day. The base fruit is bananas and oranges but we love to add peaches, apples, pineapple, grapes, we usually just add a bit of soy milk so we can blend, but otherwise its mostly fruit.

8. Residential Investment
    September 21, 2009 | 02:26

I love smoothies and they are among our favorites during summer. Generally we mix fruits of any kind with a little yogurt and some honey.

9. Residential Investment
    September 21, 2009 | 02:27

smoothies is always welcome in my home. Thanks gera!

10. Residential Investment
    September 21, 2009 | 03:13

I hardly ever drink soda, it doesn't quench my thirst and actually makes me thirstier just like you said here. I love smoothies – always with bananas and sometimes berries or even dates if I have them.

11. Naoko
    September 21, 2009 | 23:59

I love smoothies, my hubby made one for me last night. I better tell him I'm craving for another one now.. Great post.

12. dokuzuncubulut
    December 2, 2009 | 14:07

They are very refreshing! I looks like very healthy

13. Mitch Ribak
    September 12, 2011 | 07:08

Drinks do come categorized and we should try to have more of Hypertonic drinks. Other than juice I’m choosy about smoothies but instead of having soda or caffeinated drinks its safer to adapt to smoothie drinking habits.

14. Alex
    November 22, 2011 | 22:22

I think it is easy for most people to assume that all smoothies are healthy, and not think much beyond that. This is really good information, and I wish more people were aware of the difference between Hypotonic, Isotonic, Hypertonic drinks.

15. Elise Walsh
    January 24, 2012 | 01:40

This Smoothy is so good you will never want to go buy one again. Not only is is rich and creamy, it’s good for you too. It is packed with vitamin C! I just made my first batch and my roommates gobbled it up! I love that you can read up on how this will affect you.

This comes at just the right time for Floridians. It is strawberry season and orange season, add to some creamy frozen bananas to the blend and this triple threat will leave you NEEDING more.

16. Patrick
    April 24, 2013 | 06:44

smoothies are great to digest and made my body more healthy than before…

you can’t go wrong with strawberry smoothies :)

How to Stay Healthy and Fit in a Snap of Your Day

Rebecca of Chow and Chatter has invited me to do a guest post. I'm so flattered about it! Theme: how...