Turron Torrone Nougat – Tempting Confectioneries You Should Enjoy!

The holidays season is coming quickly and it’s impossible not mention a classical dessert on these dates…principally Turron,Torrone!
I know that it isn’t consumed in every country – it’s traditional in which have influence basically Spain and Italy.
It’s a beautiful and very tasty sweet desired for these holidays typically a winter-dessert!

Italian Torrone - Spanish Turron - French Nougat
But you know one thing …I find it funny because we’ve this tradition in South America and just at this moment?
I understand that with snow falling and cold a few extra calories do not create problem in principle but in midsummer – is crazy :)

Now just in this period turrones, nougats, walnuts, almonds, raisins, all kinds of cakes… many of them rich and heavy…wait outside is hot -wrong! I love all of that, but it should be better in winter, don’t you think so?

We should be delighting with refreshing fruit salads, ice cream with chocolate and dulce de leche, mint, mango, but not, this is minimal! At least the beverages like chilled white wines and beer are appropriate for this season :)

What are the customs, came from Europe and stayed here – but with the seasons changed- this is the reason why everyone should enter urgently to diet after the holidays!!

What’s a Turron – Torrone really?

It is a delicious confection made with sugar, honey, egg whites, roasted nuts (almonds, hazelnuts, even peanuts and so on) with a rectangular form or round cake type. They can be covered with chocolate too…well really all dessert can be dipped in it!

What varieties are there?

Spanish Turron

I can mention mainly the 2 most famous:

Jijona Turron: paste of almonds, sugar, honey, egg whites (the soft chewy one – my prefered!)

Alicante Turron similar to the mentioned before but with whole almonds (the hard one – warning with your teeths!)

Italian Torrone

Has a similar composition of the Spanish one and the most recognized is the Cremona Torrone but nowadays there’re for all Italy.
The differences are the relationship between honey, sugar and the time of cooking, giving a soft or hard Torrone.

French Nougat

The ingredients are the same, it’s used in chocolates and candy bars. As always there’re soft or hard versions.
– The candy bars made with nougats are insane!

Turrones Torrones Nougats

More Variants

Several European countries have their own version and names but …do you know there’s a Philippine Turron made with a native nut “Pili”?

Ahh Halva or Jalva typical in Middle East countries is a sweet relative based in a paste of sesame seeds – absolutely awesome too…impossible to not nibble one if there’s near you…;)

Craving some Turron recipes?

Turron De Dona Pepa

Torrone Recipe – Nougat

• Which is your favorite Turron? With fruits, liquor, ahh chocolatey, the rock one..are you sure?
    Love hearing your tastes!

Turrones Torrones Nougats

Merry Christmas!

If you enjoyed your read, Subscribe to my RSS feed or get updates by Email!

17 Responses to Turron Torrone Nougat – Tempting Confectioneries You Should Enjoy!
  1. Heidi / Savory Tv
    December 22, 2008 | 21:14

Interesting, I had no idea there we two spellings and so many varieties!

Merry Christmas!

Heidi

2. Reeni
    December 23, 2008 | 00:17

Hi Gera,
    My Mom loves Torrone, she ate a lot of it when she was in Italy. I’m not a big fan, but I prefer the softer kind when I do eat it. I didn’t know it was so popular in other places! I know that it must be strange to eat these Christmas foods when it is hot out, I lived in the Sonoran desert for a while and it didn’t feel like Christmas to me without snow! Thanks for all the interesting information, as always! Merry Christmas!

3. J.A. ROSE
    December 23, 2008 | 01:53

Gera-wonderful. tx, java

4. Shelby
    December 23, 2008 | 09:04

Sounds delicious Gera!

5. tfirdaus
    December 23, 2008 | 11:51

Hi, Gera it’s me

it looks delicious, perfect for my Holiday party with my family.

Happy Holiday
    tfirdaus

6. Gera
    December 23, 2008 | 20:36

@Heidi
    So many variants and all delights!
    Merry Christmas! to you too :)

@Reeni
    If you’ve a sweet tooth you should like them but as my case, the softer is better. In Latin America is hugely popular but with snow always you can crave it more ;)
    Merry Christmas for you! :)

@Java
    Thanks Janet!
    Merry Christmas!!

@HoneyB
    You should taste it’s so addictive!
    Merry Christmas for all.. great your Mom feel good!!

@Tfirdaus
    Thanks for stopping by and you can try and all your family will love them!
    Happy Holidays! :)

7. Carolyn Jung
    December 23, 2008 | 22:55

I love torrone! First had it when I visited Spain many years ago. I’m a gal who loves almonds, so finding a confection just loaded with the nuts made me go, well, nuts! ;)

8. taste memory
    December 24, 2008 | 00:25

I recall eating something similar to this when growing up in San Francisco. The white nougat was both dense + fluffy ~ very lovely taste memory! This is reminding me of fruit cake…..and I happen to like very well made fruit cake. It’s the yucky poorly made ones that give fruit cake a bad rap!

Happy Holidays ;-)

9. Gera
    December 24, 2008 | 16:35

@Carolyn
    If you visited Spain you stayed at the Hollywood of Turrones every type there.. Mediterraean countries are plenty of nuts and almonds basic ingredients for these sweeties!
    Happy Holidays :)

@Ingar
    Lovely tasty memory about them…I agree with you when they aren’t well made can be impossible to eat, bland or directly like a bad bubblegum!
    Merry Christmas!

10. Jude
    December 26, 2008 | 06:21

I love turron.. All variants of them, especially the Filipino version, of course :)

11. Gera
    December 26, 2008 | 19:50

@Jude
    I was pretty sure that especially the Filipino version is your favorite, being of Philippines ;)
    Happy Holidays! :)

12. Jane Cooper
    April 13, 2011 | 09:20

It looks so great, i’m going to make it today and i’m sure everyone will love it!!!

13. Martin
    July 13, 2011 | 03:50

I feel so sinful by just looking at it. Oh heck, sometime in life you just need a break. I hate you Gera. :)

• Gera
      July 13, 2011 | 17:03

It wasn’t my intention Martin :) LOL

14. Martin
    July 14, 2011 | 00:08

OK I forgive you…..now who should I blame…..lol

15. Aroma y Cocina
    November 24, 2011 | 18:45

I cannot imagine a Christmas without cold and in some areas with plenty of snow or rain.
    You really know our turrón. I must say my favourite is the chocolate one because the ones with almonds are really heavy and cannot eat so much.
    Anyway who loves hot will be delighted to spend this time of the year in a warm country, can be also a great fun to celebrate the Nochevieja eating the twelve grapes in a warm night by the beach.
    Regards,
    Begoña
    Aroma y Cocina would love you to read..ROSQUILLAS DE ANISMy Profile

16. FH
    January 18, 2012 | 04:39

Sweets are my favorite in foods. I am mad for that and now you had been added one more sweet “Turron” in my list. I will definitely try to make this sweet at my home. Thanks for adding one more sweet dish in my list.

Awarded with a Uber Amazing Blog Award! And the same goes to these Super Foodies…

Wow I've just received my first award at the blogosphere…I've been awarded off line but this is the first with...